Folsom Suspect Killed by Police after Killing Baby Cousin, Stabbing Aunt

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


A woman and her 6-month-old son were stabbed in the middle of the afternoon, in the middle of the Folsom neighborhood where they lived.

Both survived for some time, but about six hours after the incident near Montrose and Necturine Drives, police revealed that the infant had died.

That was the latest thing to lament in a family nightmare neighbors were shocked to watch unfold on their street.

“There’s this lady on the grass, looked like she was in pain, looked like she got injured somehow,” said neighbor James McClean as he described what he saw after running down his street behind racing police cars.

“How can you do something like that? It’s crazy,” said neighbor Jessica Majors.

Police now confirm they were called into a situation where a man in his 20s had stabbed his aunt and her baby.

“The first officer to arrive on scene was confronted with a male, bloody with a large knife. That officer did shoot at the suspect..shooting the suspect and striking him,” said Folsom Police Officer Andrew Bates.

Even after that, that man apparently continued to fight with officers.

He later died and some say that was the real goal of the violence he started.

“What we’ve developed are statements that the suspect made prior to the stabbing that indicate to us this may have been a suicide-by-cop situation,” said Officer Bates.

Bates says part of the Thursday incident happened out on the street and some happened inside an apartment, but he did not specify which was which.

Neighbor Larry Honaker says he saw trouble brewing between the man and his aunt in days past and then again several hours before the stabbings.

“See I was out here…early this 3 a.m. They were fighting and passed by…I  passed by and the guy made some gestures towards me, you know,” he said.

Several people in the neighborhood, like Honaker, say they know the family involved but not by name.

Police are not releasing their names at this time.

“I have kids, so it’s terrifying. It’s right here. This is why I live here so I don’t have to deal with stuff like this but I guess it can happen anywhere,” said Majors.

Much of Montrose Drive remained blocked off behind police tape at 11 p.m. Thursday.

After several hours, folks who live behind the tape were allowed to walk to their homes.

Cars won’t be allowed in or out of that area until crime scene technicians have finished their work.

Don't miss

More Featured

Latest News

More News