11-Year-Old Stockton Boy Dies Days After Being Shot in Head, Family Says

Local News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

STOCKTON -- A boy who was shot in the head in Stockton has died, according to family members.

Tahj Owens was a smiling 11-year-old boy in a picture shared by relatives on Facebook -- a young man who loved karate and comics, a young man whose life was cut short.

“It’s sad. It’s very sad, yeah,” classmate Neyra Cabrera said.

Family members on social media posted that Owens died Sunday, four days after reportedly being shot in the head.

The boy’s death hit classmates at Franklin High School. Parents said they were saddened to hear of his passing.

“Bad… real bad,” parent Benito Cabrera said.

The Stockton Unified School District said Owens was a great student and part of the International Baccalaureate Middle Years program.

Neyra Cabrera was in Owens’ chess club, she said she didn’t get to talk to him much but said it will be tough not to see him around.

“(Classmates say) that he’s a good boy, that shouldn’t have ever happened to him, which it shouldn’t have. He was very small,” Neyra Cabrera said.

The Stockton Police Department is still investigating the mystery surrounding the boy's death.

On Thursday afternoon, neighbors said they heard a gunshot then heard his older brother, 18-year-old Tyreke Owens, screaming for help.

One woman performed CPR on the front lawn of the home on Ledgewood Drive, while another called 911.

When officers arrived at the home they found a gun underneath the boy’s body. Investigators have not said if that’s the gun that wounded the boy, they have also not released who the gun belongs to.

Investigators have said they do not believe there was a drive-by shooting. They’re still working to figure out if this tragedy was accidental or self-inflicted.


Don't miss

More Featured

Latest News

More News