Community Grieves as Investigation into Baby Justice’s Death Continues

Local News

Justice Rees

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.


A relative says young mother Samantha Green is still distraught over the death of her baby, Justice Rees, who only lived for 20 days.

"She just wants the community to know that they support her, that she's happy they support her," says the relative who wished to remain anonymous.

In the meantime, investigators are questioning whether the 23-year-old is responsible for the infant's death, or if it was an accident.

Baby justice and mom were last seen Monday. Loved ones initially asked neighbors to help in the search.

"I had the picture of she and her baby and her car and was asked to keep them with me in case I did see them around," said neighbor April Pinegar.

Tuesday night Green was found safe near the Ridge Cut Slough in Knights Landing, about 25 minutes from the family's Woodland home.

An all out search for baby justice lasts through the night. Wednesday morning, he was found, dead in the water not far from where green turned up.

That night detectives questioned Green and the baby's father, Frank Rees. The community also held a vigil for the infant.

FOX40 spoke with Rees the next day.

"We appreciate everybody's love and support of the regional last night we weren't there but we heard it was beautiful," Rees said.

Thursday investigators determined a possible cause of death to be drowning and hypothermia, with no signs of abuse.

"It's very upsetting to know that a family is going through that," said Pinegar.

Green claims she was abducted and sexually assaulted.

But detectives from the Yolo County Sheriffs Department tell FOX40 so far they believe the young mom was the only witness or person involved.

The sheriffs department is still investigating. As of know it's unknown whether or not criminal charges will be filed.

The DA's office says it could be several days until we find out.

Investigators say a full autopsy and toxicology tests could take months.


Don't miss

More Featured

Latest News

More News