This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DAVIS — Davis police have found the body of a man inside a hotel room following a  hazardous material investigation.

Police in Davis say the area along B Street, between First and Second Streets, was evacuated as officials investigated the hazmat situation at the Best Western University Lodge. The evacuation order has since been lifted, and the motel reopened around 6:30 p.m.

Police evacuated the hotel and allowed the rooms to vent before they went inside. That’s when they found the man’s body. Police are investigating the man’s death as a possible suicide.

According to police, the gassy smell coming from the hotel was a toxic gas that was coming from the room where the man’s body was found. The gas has not been identified. Police will have to wait for autopsy results to say whether the hazardous substance caused the man’s death.

Police said the gas did not come from the hotel itself, but rather, it was something that was brought into the room.

There is no evidence to suggest the man was involved in any drug-making activities in the room.

The hotel will likely be closed for a few more hours.

Police do not believe there is a suspect at large or any ongoing danger to the public.

Stay with FOX40 and for updates on this developing story.