Homicide Suspect Apprehended after Standoff With Deputies at La Quinta Inn in Stockton

Local News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
STOCKTON — Sheriff’s deputies were engaged in a standoff Tuesday outside the La Quinta Inn in Stockton that ended with a homicide suspect in handcuffs. After a week of searching and hours after the standoff, investigators say they now have Alejandro Ruvacalba in custody. The 32-year-old suspect was wanted for shooting and killing a man last week outside a liquor store in central Stockton. A spokesperson with the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office said there was an “active scene” near West March Lane as Ruvacalba was holed up in one of the hotel’s rooms. He was escorted through the parking lot by tactical members around 30 minutes after a woman that was with him left that same hotel room. The sheriff’s office said hostage negotiators were on scene but they did not refer to the incident as a hostage situation, adding they did not know the relationship between the woman and the suspect. “We don’t know the woman’s relationship at this time to him, but we’re glad she’s safe,” said Andrea Lopez with the sheriff’s office. “I just don’t want him to get hurt, you know what I mean,” said a man at the scene, who said he knows Ruvacalba after growing up near him. “He’s his own man, I mean, I can’t convince him to do anything.” The man, who would only say his name is Edward, said that he was on the phone with Ruvacalba while he was holed up in the room. “He was just talking to his girl, telling her goodbye,” Edward told reporters. A short time after talking to media, Edward was put into handcuffs and detained. FOX40 asked Lopez why the man was detained but she said she didn’t have that answer. No one was injured in the standoff.
Alejandro Ruvacalba, 32 (Credit: Ssan Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office)
The evening of July 3, Anthony Quismondo had just walked out of American Smokers Club on Waterloo Road when he went to a nearby parking lot and tried to sell a pair of sneakers to Ruvacalba, according to the store’s owner and investigators. As the 42-year-old father of three sat in his car, Ruvacalba tried to steal the shoes before shooting him. Quismondo sped away from the area but with a gunshot wound and only one arm, he crashed his car. He later died. The following morning, Ruvacalba was seen running from a crashed car in Turlock armed with a firearm. “Hopefully we do find out the motive but right now it appears to be a robbery gone wrong,” Lopez said. Stockton Crime Stoppers had put up a $10,000 reward for information leading to his arrest. This is a developing story. Stay with FOX40 as a reporter provides more information from the scene.


Don't miss

More Featured

Latest News

More News