Officials say 3 dead after helicopter crashes into power line in Fairfield

Local News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

The Latest – June 3 (11 a.m.) — The three people killed in the helicopter crash have been identified as two IBEW members 41-year-old Local 676 Journeyman Lineman Jimmy Wasdin, 29-year-old Local 1245 Fourth Step Apprentice Lineman Travis Shull and the helicopter pilot Roscoe Gray.

FAIRFIELD, Calif. (KTXL) – Three people died in a helicopter crash Tuesday that resulted in a grass fire in Fairfield.

Around 1:30 p.m., the Bell 206 helicopter crashed then caught fire near the intersection of Lyon and Soda Springs roads, according to the Federal Aviation Administration.

Officials could not provide any information about the identities of those on board the helicopter.

Prior to crashing, the helicopter came in contact with a 115-kilovolt power line, according to Pacific Gas and Electric.

PG&E said Tuesday afternoon that the helicopter was being used by a contracting crew the company hired.

The cause of the crash is being investigated by the FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board.

Cal Fire says PG&E had to de-energize the lines in the area around 3 p.m., cutting power to roughly 38,000 customers in Fairfield and Vacaville.

Aerial video shows the aftermath of the crash zone, with a large-scale grass fire flaring around the site.

Cal Fire crews had problems navigating the grassy hills off Interstate 80 to fight the blaze. Crews told FOX40 that there was just a one-lane road to where the 7-acre fire was burning.

Three Cal Fire firefighters suffered minor injuries when their rig rolled over while responding to the flames. They were transported to a local hospital for treatment.

The lack of power for tens of thousands of residents combined with the Solano County curfew of 8 p.m. caused a line at a local McDonald’s restaurant that stretched 40 cars deep.

“I’m praying Lord Jesus that we can get some food to go home because we can’t cook,” said Keisha Hughes, who was without power.

“Everything is closed, everything is boarded up, the roads are packed,” McDonald’s customer John Varnum told FOX40. “I was surprised it was open. Yeah, I was really surprised there was anybody here.”

PG&E reports power was restored to all customers by  8:21 p.m.

This story is developing. Check back for more updates.

Don't miss

More Featured

Latest News

More News