This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

STOCKTON — A grieving Stockton family claims San Joaquin General Hospital staff’s negligence led to a 15-year-old’s death.

Yunique Morris died last Thursday.

The 15-year-old was a healthy, active student and cheerleader at Weston Ranch High School in Stockton.

Two weeks ago, Yunique complained of ongoing chest pain and was seen by her doctor at San Joaquin General Hospital.

Speaking exclusively to FOX40, Yunique’s grandmother, Wanda Ely, said the teen’s doctor diagnosed her with chest wall pain. She was given pain medication and antibiotics then placed on bed rest.F

“Her health just started going downhill,” Ely said. “It got to the point where she couldn’t even go up and down a flight of stairs without getting out of breath.”

A few days later she returned to her doctor. The family claims the doctor insisted her illness was minor and she was experiencing inflammation.

Yunique’s mother was still concerned, so she asked for an X-ray.

Days went by and Yunique’s health did not improve.

“She felt nobody is helping her and she didn’t really understand what was going through her body but she knew something wasn’t right,” Ely said.

Then last Thursday Yunique sent her mother a text message.


Her older brother rushed her to the emergency room at San Joaquin General where doctors found numerous blood clots in her chest. She died within hours.

Ely and her family have been looking for answers in the midst of their devastation.

An autopsy is being conducted at the Children’s Hospital in Oakland. The family said they won’t know what exactly killed the teen until about two weeks from Friday.

The family is also raising funds to help pay for the funeral. Yunique will be laid to rest in two weeks.

An administrator with the hospital told FOX40 that because of patient confidentiality they cannot comment on the incident.

The family has launched a GoFundMe campaign.