This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AUBURN — A man was hospitalized and arrested Saturday after he grabbed a 3-year-old at an Auburn park and was punched in the face by the girl’s father.

Witnesses who were at North Auburn Regional Park around 7 p.m. told deputies Yonel Hernandez-Velasco, 26, was acting strangely.

A group of boys said Hernandez-Velasco tried twice to buy their basketball. According to the Placer County Sheriff’s Office, when they rejected him he showed them a pair of handcuffs and threatened to drag one of them into a nearby pond.

Cecilia Sole was playing with her two daughters when the boys told Hernandez-Velasco to go away. That’s when Sole says he walked over to her youngest.

“He interlaces his fingers with my 3-year-old and starts trying to make a game out of it. Like skipping with her,” Sole told FOX40.

But she says it was no game when Hernandez-Velasco started dragging the little girl away. She chased after them while calling the girls’ father, who happens to live right nearby the park.

Hernadez-Velasco let the girl go but the bizarre incident was far from over.

“He just looked at me like [shrugs] and I was like, ‘Wow no big thing, huh bud? You just tried to kidnap my daughter,'” said Fred Cantrell Jr., the toddler’s father.

Auburn Police say at that point Hernandez-Velasco took out the pair of handcuffs, wrapped them around his fist and took a swing at the toddler’s father. Cantrell said he punched back, fists flew and Hernandez-Velasco collapsed to the ground.

The threat was over but not for the little girl, who called out for her father later that night, unable to sleep.

“She gave me a kiss, she was all, ‘I love you, daddy.’ I was like, ‘I love you too, baby.’ Then she’s like, ‘Don’t ever let me go.’ That right there crushed my heart,” Cantrell said.

Hernandez-Velasco was hospitalized then booked into the Auburn Jail upon his release. He has been charged on suspicion of kidnapping, assault with a deadly weapon and attempted kidnapping and his bail is set at $1.2 million.