MODESTO -- Family and friends gathered at Standiford Park in Modesto on Monday evening for a candlelight vigil marking an entire year since Amanda Crews and four others were killed inside her home on Nob Hill Court.
The 38-year-old doctor, both her six-month-old and 6-year-old daughters, her ex-boyfriend's mother and her ex-boyfriend's 5-year-old niece all lost their lives in the gruesome slaying back in July 2015.
Crews' ex-boyfriend Martin Martinez was accused of murdering them and has been charged in their deaths.
In addition to those crimes, Martinez was later accused of killing Crews' 2-year-old son months earlier in 2014.
Crews' friend and co-worker Kate Kerns told FOX40 her loved ones had since been continuously looking for ways to keep her memory alive, including organizing 5K and 10K runs in her name, in addition to incorporating more domestic violence classes into their workplace training.
"I think it's really weighed heavy on us for a whole year. It's so far out of the realm of normal experience for most of us. We've all been through all the stages of grief. And I know for me, it's still a blow when I see her initials on a piece of medical records that I'm reviewing. It's unbelievable that she's not here. It just doesn't seem possible," Kerns said.
Martinez is currently being held at the Stanislaus County Jail. Prosecutors say they are seeking the death penalty in the case.