This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FOLSOM —

A Folsom family’s new Christmas present almost cost them their house. The Folsom Fire Department said their hover board caught fire inside their living room after it had been charging.

The FFD said it was the first hover board they have responded to, but they fear it won’t be the last. The fire happened Saturday in the neighborhood near Vista del Lago High School. The FFD said the damage to the home was extensive.

“There were some sparks, and then some embers emanated from it. Through the investigation we revealed some scorching some marks on the carpet. And it did cause fire and damage to the home as well as destroying the hover board,” said Captain Phil Challinor, with the Folsom Fire Department.

Challinor said the popular holiday gift uses a new type of battery which can run hot especially when charging, and that has caused fires across the U.S.

“We have seen an increase in this type of battery, the lipo type battery with the potential, because through the charge process they do generate and put off a little more heat,” said Challinor.

The homeowners told FOX40 they were charging their hover board for 30-45 minutes when it made several noises, a knock and then a pop. Then the board exploded with debris flying 15 feet, according to the homeowners. That started several other fires around their home. Challinor fear more fires like this could be coming.

“I think it’s a real possibility for anybody with any type of electric control toy, be a hover board or remote control car or anything especially with it being around the time of the holidays when a lot of those gifts have now been given out. And we just try to do our best about educating the public about the potentials of those,” Challinor said.