SACRAMENTO — A day after the Sacramento Police Department released video of an officer involved shooting that occurred this summer and took the life of a mentally ill man, the family of 51-year-old Joseph Mann is demanding justice.
“They (police) lied to me flat out – they told me my brother was aggressive, he was coming at officers and they had no time to make any other decision but to shoot my brother,” Robert Mann, Joseph’s brother, said.
At a press conference held at the location of this summer’s shooting at the corner of Del Paso Boulevard and Arden Way, family, attorneys and activists weighed in on the police video released Tuesday.
“We had been asking to see the video since the shooting, and the fact it was released to the media first tells me they don’t care,” Robert Mann said.
Robert Mann says he received a call early yesterday afternoon from Mayor Kevin Johnson saying the video would be released later that evening, and that because he had to work he and the family would not be able to view it first.
Joseph Mann was shot 14 times after police said he would not cooperate with them.
Mark Harris is an attorney for the Mann family.
He says the subcommittee set up by Mayor Johnson to look into city protocol for police shootings is not enough.
“They need to be terminated immediately – we will not take away their due process though, and if the investigation determines the shooting was in the right then they will get their privileges back and some interest,” Harris, speaking about officers who open fire on civilians, said Wednesday.
Harris says he has spoken of state legislators and that a bill is currently being drafted to mandate state-wide how to treat officers after they are involved in a shooting incident.