Long-Running Feed Store Closes after Fire

Local News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GALT-

Many from around Galt stopped by Robinson’s Feed Co. Sunday to see if reports of a devastating fire were true.

They were.

While the store was closed and no people were inside Saturday when the fire broke out, there were still casualties. Around 150 baby chicks died.

Though the fire is still under investigation, the Cosumnes Fire Department believes it started with the heat lamps used to keep the chicks warm.

“The chickens were cute, the kids would come over and get chickens once and awhile. Little chicks,” Al Baldwin said.

Baldwin is a member of the Galt Area Historical Society. He said the building dates back to 1906, and has been a location for Robinson’s Feed Co. since 1950.

Robinson’s general manager says the company would like to reopen but, with $50,000 in damage, it’s unclear if the city inspector will allow that to happen.

Don't miss

More Featured

Latest News

More News