‘NorCal Rapist’ sentenced to 897 years in prison

Local News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KTXL) — Roy Waller, the man convicted of being the NorCal Rapist, was sentenced Friday to the maximum 459 years, in addition to his 438 years to life in prison, totaling 897 years.

“There’s always an appeal, but we have every faith and every hope and trust in the system that he will die in prison,” said Keith Hill of the Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office.

Waller, known as the NorCal Rapist, was arrested in September 2018 for a series of more than 10 rapes and kidnappings committed between 1991 and 2006 spanning six Northern California counties.

He was convicted on all 46 counts he faced.

“Mr. Waller deserves every single second that the judge gave him today,” Hill said.

“And I hope he lives a very, very, very long life,” added Nicole Earnest-Payte, a NorCal Rapist survivor.

For survivors, this was a moment they had waited decades for.

“I’m done, he’s gone, I never have to think about him for one more second of my life and that is the greatest relief I could ever ever feel,” Earnest-Payte said.

In 1991, she was attacked by Waller inside her Rohnert Park Home when she was 21.

“For any survivor who has not had the strength to do so, who’s watching this today, the only person who should be ashamed of what happened to you is the person who did it to you. It is never, ever you,” she said.

But for Teresa Lane, another NorCal Rapist survivor, “the feeling of being scared and all that: that’s just going to be there.”

When Lane was 30 years old, she had been attacked by Waller inside her Vallejo home in 1992.

“And knowing that he is not going to do it to anybody else is the most amazing thing ever,” Lane told FOX40.

Those attacks, and eight others between 1991 and 2006, went unsolved for years.

But in 2018, investigators used DNA evidence from crime scenes to find a match on the online DNA service GEDMatch. That led to a relative of Waller — and ultimately — his arrest.

Waller’s trial began in September, where his victims and a detective took the stand.

“The takeaway for us today is that I think that is a technology that needs to be embraced because it did provide closure for so much and so many people,” said Chris Ore from the Sacramento County District Attorney’s Office.

While Waller’s final sentencing was the closure many survivors said they had been waiting for so long for, some say their work is far from over.

“I feel released now to take the next step of this journey in my life, which is to try and help other people stand up, change the dynamic, figure out why men are raping people and stopping the behavior,” Earnest-Payte said. “Stop putting the focus on the women all the time. Let’s focus on the men.”

“And I will do everything I can for the rest of my life to change the narrative and change the dynamic of this conversation,” she continued.

The judge sentencing him says Waller is ineligible for probation.

After the sentencing, Waller’s attorney said Waller maintains his innocence, and both have plans to appeal.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't miss

Latest News

More News