School Evacuates, Closes for the Day After Blown Fuses

Local News

PG&E crews respond to Williamson Elementary in Rancho Cordova

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


Six hundred students at Williamson Elementary in Rancho Cordova were sent home early Friday, when a transformer behind the school failed.

Students tell FOX40 they heard a loud boom, the lights went out and then they smelled gas.

“I thought there was a bomb because it was really really loud,” said second grader, Jeffrey Earles.

Earles and hundreds of others were scared as they evacuated the school and waited for their parents at a nearby church.

SMUD tells FOX40 the transformer’s fuses popped, likely knocking out power.

PG&E crews were on scene because of reports of a gas leak. PG&E crews were on scene for a few hours, working to shut off the gas line and fix the leak. The leak appears to be unrelated to the electrical issue.

“The issue was underground so we’re gonna have to dig up to identify the problem and exactly what we need to do to fix it,” PG&E spokesperson, Brandi Ehlers, said.

Folsom-Cordova Unified School district officials were onhand, helping teachers make sure all of the students went home with their parents.

“We’re just trying to make sure this is an orderly process to ease parents anxiety and also make sure that all students are accounted for,” said Daniel Thigpen, a school district spokesperson.

Parents say they were worried, but happy to see the school had things under control.

“I’m happy I got the phone call immediately, i’m glad to see all the parents are here, leaving their jobs or wherever and coming to get their kids,” said parent, Renne Pettus.

SMUD tells FOX40 a squirrel caused the transformer’s fuses to pop.

Don't miss

More Featured

Latest News

More News