Editor’s note: This story has been updated with the correct spelling of Alycia Reynaga‘s name.

STOCKTON, Calif. (KTXL) — A day after an intruder killed a 15-year-old girl at Stockton high school, student safety is at the top of everyone’s minds. 

Stockton police, who have taken over the investigation, said just after 11 a.m. Monday, 52-year-old Anthony Gray drove onto Stagg High School, parked in the parking lot and then randomly attacked a student, stabbing her multiple times.

She was identified as 15-year-old Alycia Reynaga.

“There needs a better system,” said Andrea Hernandez, the victim’s aunt.

Her family is rocked by grief, and they are now calling for change.

“When kids are here, there should be somebody there. Somebody should be there,” Hernandez said.

“There was no protection. There was nothing, nothing protecting these kids at all. And this just shows exactly how the security and our protocols are so bad. It needs to be fixed. It has to be fixed,” said Juliana Leal, Reynaga’s cousin.

What happened to Reynaga has raised concerns about school security for other parents as well. On Tuesday, the gate the suspect allegedly drove through to attack Reynaga was kept closed, and an officer was checking every car that arrived on campus.

“We’re just scared for our kids, and that’s something that just hits close to home. Who would ever have thought that happened here at Stagg High School. As a parent, I’d like to see more security,” said Chris Rivera, whose grandchildren have attended Stagg High School.

FOX40 asked Stockton Unified School District if someone was manning the gate when the suspect arrived at the campus, but we weren’t given a clear answer. 

Instead, Melinda Meza with SUSD said it’s part of the police investigation. 

“When a tragedy like this happens, we all feel broken about it. And so we have to gather and we have to support each other, and we have to just do better,” Meza said.

The district said their department of public safety has doubled the number of officers at all school sites for the week and Stockton police have increased patrols around schools. 

“We want to do our very best to prevent anything like this happening at any of our campuses,” Meza said.

Last week, the school board voted 6-1 to approve spending $227,000 for an audit of all the district’s safety plans and procedures.

“We want to make sure we’re doing everything we can to make it as safe as possible,” Meza said.

The audit from Rockeye Consulting will begin May 1 and last until the end of the year. Officials said it will prepare schools to deal with unexpected crises and disasters.  

“We’re hoping students could come to school and feel safe so they could learn,” Meza said.

The suspect is expected to make his first court appearance on Wednesday.