This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
DIXON — Two teenage boys died Monday after they were electrocuted while trying to rescue a dog from a canal in Dixon.
(Credit: CHP – Golden Gate Air Operations)
Candy Carrillo said her son, 17-year-old Jake Hourmouzus, died a hero. “He would have given the shirt off his back,” Carrillo said. “He knew what he wanted and he always went after it.” She said he was out walking with a group of friends, including 17-year-old Jacob Schneider, another teenage boy and a teenage girl, as well as Schneider’s dog, Ranger. The four of them were hiking off West Dixon Road that afternoon near the canal. “One of the boys went in the water because he saw his dog fall in the water and Jake seen his friend in trouble,” Carrillo told FOX40. Hourmouzus’ stepfather, Gus Carrillo, explained how Schneider grabbed ahold of the bridge over the canal so he wouldn’t fall in. “At the same time, when he touched that rail, what I understood is that’s where he stayed right there. He could not get off of it,” Gus Carrillo said. The Solano County Sheriff’s Office reports the bridge had an electric current running through it. “So my son decided to jump in there, but not knowing what it was, to help his friend and when he touched that also he got stuck there too,” Gus Carrillo said. The Carrillos said the third boy was able to free the other two but it was too late. Hourmouzus and Schneider died. “They were electrocuted,” Hourmouzus’ mother said. “And I asked the doctor yesterday if it was an instant death and they said they believed so.”
Now, she wonders if more could have been done to keep her son safe. “They should do more to prevent it, to prevent access on these side roads,” Candy Carrillo said. “He was a kind kid,” said Hourmouzus’ grandmother, Joy Branco. “He always thought of the other person.” Jumping in to save his friend and Ranger was an act Hourmouzus’ grandmother said did not surprise her. “He died doing what he liked doing,” she told FOX40. “Jacob will always be in my heart.” According to the sheriff’s office, Ranger did survive. He was checked out by a veterinarian and released to his family Tuesday.

Loved Ones Hold Vigil

Choking back tears, Brannon Hourmouzus greeted hundreds of family members and friends as they gathered at Hall Park in Dixon Tuesday night to honor the two boys. “I love that everyone came together for him. That’s what he would want,” Brannon Hourmouzus said. A day after their deaths, at least 300 people gathered at the park to hug each other and shed some tears. “We’re proud of what he did,” said Jake’s uncle, Eric. “Me and Brannon would’ve done the same thing that he did. We would’ve tried helping our buddy and that dog.” His grandfather, Larry Branco, said they got to spend all of Jake’s last weekend alive together. “It was nice. He was turning a corner, as all teenagers do. He was good,” Larry Branco said.