SACRAMENTO — A 22-year-old man has been identified as the suspect and arrested for the homicide of the person whose remains were discovered in a shallow grave on Dec. 26.
Around 2:30 p.m. authorities were called to a home on Dundee Drive, near Don Julio Boulevard and Larry Way, where construction workers believed they had discovered human bones in the backyard.
Investigators uncovered an entire human skeleton, according to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department.
At the time of the discovery, no one was living in the home. The homeowner, Dimas Velasquez, had been renovating the home after his previous tenants had been evicted in November for not paying rent and leaving the home in terrible condition.
“No one would ever think they would come across a situation like this,” Velasquez said.
On Friday, Sacramento County authorities identified and arrested Michael Christopher Sager in north Sacramento County. He has been booked in Sacramento Main County Jail and is not eligible for bail.
“He was the boyfriend of the daughter who lived there,” Velasquez said. ” When I found out, I was shocked. I would have never thought it would have been him.”
Sgt. Shaun Hampton reports investigators believe the victim and Sager, both tenants at the home, got into an argument in the summer of 2015, which led to Sager stabbing and killing the victim.
“There was never a missing persons report filed for the victim, but he was obviously missing for a couple of years and, unfortunately, met his demise in that house,” Hampton said.
They believe this all occurred at the home on Dundee Drive,
At this time, the victim’s identity has not been released.