Governor: 2 Attackers Kill 8, Themselves at Brazil School

National and World News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SAO PAULO (AP) — The governor of Sao Paulo says two young men, wearing hoods and carrying several weapons, opened fire at a school in southern Brazil, killing eight people before taking their own lives.

Wednesday’s shooting happened in a public school in Suzano, a suburb of Sao Paulo, Brazil’s largest city.

Gov. Joao Doria says the two attackers were believed to be between 20 and 25 years old. He says authorities don’t believe the two were former students.

Doria says the dead included two teachers and six students, and several more people had been hospitalized after sustaining injuries.

Latin America’s largest nation has the largest number of annual homicides in the world, but school shootings are rare.

Brazil’s new President Jair Bolsonaro recently announced that gun ownership controls would be loosened.

Trending

Don't miss

More Featured

Latest News

More News