This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CERES — A Ceres man has been arrested for homicide after police say he killed his mom during a dispute over a video game headset.

Around 9:50 p.m. Thursday, authorities responded to a home on River Valley Circle for reports of a victim suffering from a gunshot wound to the head.

Lydia Nicholson, 68, later died from her injuries at the hospital.

“Had so much compassion for people and just wanted to see the best in people at all times,” said Autumn Nicholson, the 68-year-old’s daughter.

During their investigation, police determined 28-year-old Matthew Nicholson had been in his bedroom playing video games when he became upset and started yelling.

When the victim went to check on Matthew Nicholson, the pair began to argue. During the argument, the 28-year-old broke his video game headset and blamed his mother.

After threatening to kill both his mother and father, police say Matthew Nicholson used a handgun to shoot two rounds into the wall and then shot his mother in the head.

The suspect fled to his sister’s house in Riverbank after his 81-year-old father, Loren Nicholson, wrestled the gun from him. A long-time friend of the family elaborated, telling FOX40, “I understand that he would’ve killed the father too, but the gun jammed. The father grabbed the gun, emptied it.”

“It was the father calling to report that the son had shot his wife in the head,” said Ceres Police Sgt. Greg Yotsuya.

Police located the 28-year-old’s car in Riverbank and took him into custody without further incident.

Yotsuya told FOX40 this was the second time in six months that police have been called to the home for a fight between Matthew Nicholson and his parents.

The victim’s daughter says her mother worked in local schools for decades and that she had been devoted to her husband for 32 years.

“My mom was a wonderful person, and loved her children,” Autumn Nicholson said.

Matthew Nicholson was booked into the Stanislaus County Jail for homicide where he is being held without bail.