Space Heaters and Extension Cords Cause Fire in Boy’s Bedroom

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

NORTH HIGHLANDS –

Sacramento Metro Firefighters responded to a house fire early Wednesday morning on McClellan Drive that serves as cautionary tale for anyone owning a space heater.

A family had plugged two space heaters into extension cords inside a garage that had been converted into a living space.  According to a Metro Fire news release, “The cause of the fire was determined to be extension cord failure. The cords were not rated for the load of current required by the space heaters, causing them to overheat, ignite the carpet and then spread to the couch above.”

A 6-year-old boy was sleeping in the room at the time.  Family members smelled the smoke, rescued the boy, and extinguished the flames.

“It could have been a fatal fire,” said Metro Fire Captain Jason Wenner.  The home had one working smoke detector which was centrally located.  It was not close enough to the converted garage to be activated by the smoke.  Firefighters gave the family a second smoke detector.

As for using appliances with extension cords, Wenner cautioned, “Any portable device that draws a lot of power needs to be plugged directly into an outlet…not an extension cord.”

Don't miss

More Featured

Latest News

More News