Transformer Blows, Sparking Fire and Power Outages

News
This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

DAVIS–

More than 1,000 PG&E customers were without power this evening after firefighters say an underground transformer, or electrical switch, exploded.

It happened just before 8 o’clock on Lake and Arlington Boulevards in west Davis.

“I would say it was burning for about a half hour or so,” said Martin Kenny.

The fire was so large it burned a nearby fence.

Although fires like these are rare, another one just 3 miles from here exploded earlier today.

Firefighters say high electrical from the extreme heat may have been a likely cause.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Don't miss

Latest News

More News