Wife of Man Killed by Police Describes What Led to Shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


The man shot and killed by a Stockton police officer Sunday morning allegedly got out of his car during the traffic stop on Airport Way. He was holding a 19 inch bayonet.

Stockton Police say the officer fired three rounds at 45-year-old Donald Haynes, hitting him at least once. Haynes refused to comply, so a police K9 unit and a baton were then used to detain him.

“He just really didn’t want to go back to prison or anything. All his actions he’s been doing are just really all a mental state. He never really wanted to die,” said Donald Haynes’ wife of nearly 20 years, Sylvia.

Sylvia says she thinks one of her neighbors called police to her home on Carpenter Road Saturday for a domestic dispute.

“I must have said the wrong word. There’s certain things you have to be careful not to say to him. Something would snap inside of him, inside of his brain,” Sylvia said.

Stockton Police say when they arrived at the couple’s residence, they witnessed Haynes drag his wife into another room. Police kicked in a door to gain entry, and say they found Haynes assaulting his wife.

“Actually, he was a really loving person, a loving and kind person. Just people didn’t understand him,” Sylvia said.

Sylvia said she did not see her husband flee their home because she was in and out of consciousness. She was still in the hospital Monday.

Police later stopped Haynes in his vehicle Sunday morning in front of the San Joaquin County Fairgrounds, where they shot him to death.

“For a person to pull a bayonet on an officer, [that is] just not a good idea,” Darrell Burrell said.

Burrell works directly across the street from the shooting scene at Derrel Mini Storage.

“They were hoping our cameras had sen something but like I said we had all the cameras turned to thee interior of the facility,” Burrell said.

The officer involved in the shooting has been placed on administrative leave while the investigation is underway.

Sylvia told us her husband had previously served 13 and a half years in prison for attempted murder, and that he talked about committing suicide if he ever had to go back.

“I just want him back. He didn’t deserve to die,” Sylvia said.

Police: Suspect Armed with Large Knife Shot Dead

More Your Local Election Headquarters

Don't miss

More Featured

Latest News

More News