This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.


Police and witnesses painted a clearer picture of the chaos that unfolded over Highway 99 in Ripon Tuesday when a police chase ended in a crash and an officer involved shooting.

“I thought for a second, maybe I could slow him down when he was coming up on me,” Elliot Rosette said.

Rosette was driving on Highway 99 when he says the suspect, 36-year-old Angel Alan Gleason of Modesto flew by him at an estimated speed of 90 mph, side swiping other cars once he made it to the Jack Tone Road off ramp.

Rosette got out of his truck and recorded the moments after two Manteca police officers fatally shot Gleason near the railroad under the road.

“I was confused. I didn’t know what was going on. Also I just wondered what was this guy running from,” Rosette said.

Manteca Police provided new details Thursday that pointed at what Gleason may have been running from. They said he had a $250,000 warrant out for his arrest in San Bernardino for grand theft, and was currently on felony probation in Stanislaus County for possession of a controlled substance.

Police said he also had meth in the car he fled in Tuesday and was armed with a .22 caliber handgun that he pointed at officers.

“The way he was driving, he didn’t want to go to jail. He was erratic, he was going super fast and in and out of traffic, driving on the shoulder, passing people,” Rosette said.

Gleason’s Facebook page shows photos of a silver BMW with the license plate number scratched out. Manteca police say the silver BMW he fled in and subsequently crashed was not stolen, but had license plates from a Ford.

They are still investigating the connection to the Ford.

“I was just thinking, how selfish the guy is putting other innocent people in danger,” Rosette said.

Police say one of the cars Gleason hit rolled over and landed on an embankment shrouded by bushes near the off ramp. They say a young girl suffered a minor injury to her face but was expected to be fine.

FOX40 spoke with Gleason’s sister over the phone on Thursday. She said all she knew about the incident was from the police report. She said her brother had a big heart and was not a bad person.

“It’s someone’s son, someone’s brother, that lost their life. You might have a big heart, but what happens if the little girl gets paralyzed anything from that accident? And you didn’t mean to do it, but you did it because of your actions?” Rosette said.