So when Reid was asked Thursday how the food was at the White House when the team visited there earlier in the week, the Chiefs’ coach was ready to do his thing.
“They did have some good stuff. They had a, I never had this before, a French toast, grilled cheese and ham sandwich that they sprinkled a little bit of powered sugar on. I mean, it was phenomenal. There was an abundance of this. Then they had chicken fingers, exotic chicken fingers to boot. And then maybe the best part was they had, which I hadn’t seen before, little bite-sized squares of the heart of the watermelon. My hat went off to the chef. I went back and talked to him. I just go, ‘You guys are unbelievable. Whoever cut all that out had the patience to do that, hat goes off to them.’”
Three thoughts here: One, Andy Reid is a national treasure. Two, watermelon is by far the best fruit, so good take by coach. Three, it’s a shame and borderline criminal, though, that there wasn’t one reporter in this press conference who asked the key follow up: What is an exotic chicken finger?
2. Remember when the internet had a field day during the Bills-Dolphins playoff game because there was a question about whether Miami coach Mike McDaniel was vaping on the sideline? McDaniel was finally asked about it on the last Pardon My Take, and I’m not sure he actually denied it.
Was Mike McDaniel vaping on the sideline in Buffalo?— Pardon My Take (@PardonMyTake) June 9, 2023
We got our answer on today’s show…
3. I really wish everyone would stop calling what happened at Thursday’s Guardians game possibly the worst first pitch ever. This was not a pitch. The guy never even made the throw. This might be the most embarrassing first pitch attempt, but it is NOT a first pitch.
This first pitch didn't go as planned. 😅 pic.twitter.com/z4g2fdFHWR— Cut4 (@Cut4) June 8, 2023
4. For Thursday night’s Mets-Braves game, Bally Sports had four former Atlanta players call the action: Jeff Francoeur, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine and Chipper Jones.
To say they were fired up for Atlanta’s comeback, walk-off 13–10 win after being down 10–7 in the eighth inning would be a gross understatement. Listen.
5. I can probably name three soccer players, maybe five, tops. One of them is Lionel Messi. So while it would make sense Inter Miami would get a nice social media bump after landing the superstar, going to from one million Instagram followers to five million is pretty amazing. (I’m no Messi, but you can follow me, too, on Instagram.)
Inter Miami have increased their following by 5x on Instagram since the Lionel Messi news broke 😳— SportsCenter (@SportsCenter) June 8, 2023
The Messi effect is real 📈 pic.twitter.com/deoqhR3hC1
6. This week’s episode of SI Media With Jimmy Traina features an interview with Radio Hall of Famer Chris “Mad Dog” Russo.
Russo talks about radio shows vs. podcasts, how radio has changed over the years and how sports talk hosts can no longer just do sports.
He also shares his thoughts on reupping with First Take for another year, how his relationship with JJ Redick has improved over the past few months and Pat McAfee joining ESPN.
Other topics covered with Russo include flex scheduling coming to Thursday Night Football, the NFL putting a playoff game exclusively on Peacock, the problem MLB and the NBA face in this day and age, getting blowback for not liking the WBC, Bruce Springsteen’s latest tour, his son landing a job as an assistant basketball coach at Northern Arizona, why it’s so awful to fly in America and much more.
Following Russo, Sal Licata from WFAN radio and SNY TV in New York joins me for our weekly “Traina Thoughts” segment. This week, we discuss my McAfee interview from last week’s podcast, the Succession series finale and more. I also read all the May reviews left on Apple for the podcast.
You can also watch SI Media With Jimmy Traina on YouTube.
7. I had a TikTok account. It got banned this week because of copyright violations from posting Seinfeld and Sopranos videos. I made a new TikTok account. Follow it here.
8. RANDOM VIDEO OF THE DAY: This happened 16 years ago tomorrow.